Similar to falafel, this vegetarian entree is a unique way to use chickpeas. It is served with a delicious yogurt sauce.
Recipe source – “The Turkish CookBook”
- Canned chickpeas – 1 ½ cups (15.5 ounces), rinsed and drained
- Egg – 1 large
- Flour – 5 tbsp
- Garlic – 2 to 3 cloves, minced
- Italian flat leaf parsley – 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Aleppo pepper – ½ tsp
- Scallions – 3 root end & damaged green leaves removed, thinly sliced crosswise
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Canola oil - ¼ cup for frying
Place the chickpeas, egg, flour, salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, Aleppo pepper and scallions in the food processor and pulse until well blended.
Transfer the mixture on a plate. Divide the mixture into equal size balls. Wet your hands and flatten each ball into 2 inch round patties.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the patties for 2 to 3 minutes, turn and cook until golden brown.
Serve with yogurt sauce.